Monday, June 29, 2020

'You Needed to Go "

"You Needed to Go"
Greg Budig 2020

Eyes have closed. 
Dull humming fills my head. 
 I want to close down.
Life is brief. 
Death is inevitable. 
But not now, please not now.

Waiting, slowly waiting. 
Nothing prepares you. 
Wanting to sleep. 
It's just not enough. 
My eyes won't let me cry. 
I need to cry.

I hear your pain.
 I'm falling apart. 
I hate myself for feeling so 
scared, for being so weak.
I'm falling apart. 
I'm closing my eyes. 

But the children we raised 
are holding your hand.
They talk to your spirit,
surround you with love. 
And then they hold me,
and they carry my pain. 

Now is the time. 
I come back to your side. 
You said so many times
that you needed to go. 
Breathing has slowed,
now is the time. 

Somewhere in the darkness,
your spirit took flight. 
Free from the pain,
you soared to the stars. 
Holding each other, our 
grief came in tears. 

In the silence we looked upon 
your now peaceful face. 
Sweet memories began to 
rise in our hearts. 
Soon there was laughter,
we had let you go home. 

Now was the time. 
You needed to go. 
Now was the time. 
We had let you go home. 

The End 

No comments:

Post a Comment