Sunday, June 14, 2020

"Open Windows at Night "


"Open Windows at Night"
Greg Budig  2020

Waking up in the dark.
Unsure of the time
or if I'm even awake. 
Feeling the soft brush of a 
breeze across my face
through the open 
windows at night .

I breathe in the night air.
Coolness and damp 
touch my nose.
Filling my senses and 
settling my mind. 
It smells of yesterday's 
lilacs and tomorrow's rain. 

The atmosphere murmurs 
with night sounds. 
A questioning owl, a far  
away siren. The crickets 
sing softly as tires hum on 
the pavement. Deep in the 
distance a train whistle blows. 

Silently listening,
 motionless in the darkness, 
alone with my thoughts.  My 
breathing becomes measured 
as I slip into slumber. My 
dreams have escaped out 
the open windows at night. 

The End 

No comments:

Post a Comment