Sunday, June 21, 2020

"My Father "


"My Father "
Greg Budig 2020

I will never be my father. 
Never have been,
never will. 
He was tall, thin and regal.
Very dashing and quite fit.
I am like a pumpkin, often 
awkward, sometimes slow.
He was quiet and assuring,
I am loud and often rough. 

He could always solve a 
problem.  Fix whatever 
needed care. 
I stumble for the answers,
sometimes wondering what
to do. 
His head was filled with
knowledge, mine was 
always filled with dreams. 

He was from a generation  
that was called to go to war. 
I am from a generation 
that always asked for more. 
He owned his own business,
proudly working every day. 
I work for larger companies 
and earn only what they pay. 
No I am not my father. 


Father's Day is bittersweet,
I miss him and his laughter. 
I miss that he was capable 
of making all things right. 
And as I stumble through 
this day, assured of 
who I am. 
I will never be my father,
but I am sure that he is proud. 

The End 

No comments:

Post a Comment