Saturday, February 19, 2022

Last Conversation

 Last Conversation


I struggle 

To remember the 

Last time that we spoke

You were dying 

And in a way 

So was I.


Conversations 

Become trivial once 

We begin to grow old.

We thought we knew 

All we needed 

To know.


I tried to speak 

In the room before 

They gave you last rites.

But the medication 

Had already taken 

Its toll.


As I drove 

You from the hospital  

For the very last time,

All you could say 

Was that you wanted 

To go home.


I'm angry that 

We never really 

Said our last words.

We were like strangers 

Waiting for the last 

Bus to leave.


I was holding 

Your hand as you 

Peacefully left. You

Kept saying that you

Needed to go.

I guess I loved you 

Too much to say 

Goodbye. 




No comments:

Post a Comment