Friday, February 11, 2022

"Beneath"

 

"Beneath"


Frozen surfaces stretch across 

Vast winter landscapes. 

Meandering clumps of cattails 

Reveal the hidden banks 

Through the snow. 

Buried below the 

Lifeless tundra, the 

Full weight of winter 

Settles like a tomb.


The river valley sleeps 

In stillness and quiet.

January still lingers 

Outside February's 

Back door.

Hidden from view, 

You begin to wonder 

If it even exists. 


But the river still 

Flows freely 

Beneath it all. 

Surging around stones, 

Racing to the southern gulf.

Life continues beneath the 

Unbroken ice shell. 

You may not often see it, 

But the river is 

Still there. 

















2 comments:

  1. Now this is what I saw in your shorter work. I enjoyed this poem tremendously. Thank you for inviting me to read your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for missing this! It's not very often that anyone visits my blog,let alone comments!! Thank you Darlene for your kind words!! I really appreciate feedback. Let's me know that someone is reading!!
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete