Wednesday, July 8, 2020

"Rumbling at the Dawn "


"Rumbling of the Dawn"
Greg Budig 2020

The coming of the dawn.
Opening my eyes something
didn't seem quite right. 
Through the thin curtains I
sensed a heavy darkness. 
The sky was textured 
like billowing fabric. 
Layers of charcoal and gray. 

I could smell the deep rain.
The fragrant breeze 
was intoxicating. 
Drifting through the 
slightly opened window, 
I let it surround me. 
I breathed in its richness 
and slumbered again. 

Then a distant rumble 
volleyed over the landscape. 
The trees seemed to 
answer as their soft 
leaves began to stir .
Swaying on the cool fresh 
wind, velvet green clusters 
whispered in the dark. 

The thunder then grew 
more urgently.  A flash 
of lightning arced and 
raced through the 
unsettled atmosphere. 
It branched out on 
electric fingers across 
burly gray sky.

I felt a strange excitement. 
Summer storms somehow 
affect me that way. 
I lay in bed listening,
waiting for the thunder 
to roll through the yard.
Then lightning illuminates
the morning air.

Rain began it's rhythmic 
dance on the roof above 
my head. Drumming 
softly to a monotone 
song, peaceful droning 
invades my tired brain. 
Eyes are closed. 
The storm passes by. 

I slip into a quiet sleep,
alone inside my bed. 
I gently drift into silent 
dreams to the rumbling 
of the dawn. 

The End 




No comments:

Post a Comment